CLIMATE RESTORATION: AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME
It is possible, practical and profitable to restore Earth’s
climate system to its pre-industrial state.
The alternative is unthinkable!
This is the moment for radical honesty. This is the moment to admit that with incremental (climate) action we are only fooling ourselves. We have no time for small steps anymore. This is the moment to rise up, be bold and think big. Greenpeace summary: United Nations IPCC Report, October 2018
If we are to leave a planet that will sustain life for future generations, we have to have two things: a sustainable economy and a sustainable environment, and if we fail in achieving either we will suffer greatly. Dennis Weaver: Actor; Founder, Institute of Ecolonomics
Introducing Sacred Earth Enterprises
Andrew C. Bailey
Sacred Earth Enterprises (S.E.E) is a multi-generational for-profit climate restoration* startup with a sky’s-the-limit global vision, a suite of integrated technologies, multiple revenue streams and a sense of urgency. It begins with a 5-acre research, teaching, demonstration and venture-launch site – a not-for-profit Institute for Climate Restoration. The venture is a direct response to the Paris Climate Agreement and has been in active development since 2016.
*What is Climate Restoration?
Climate Restoration is the urgent global endeavor to return the Earth’s climate systems to the safe and healthy state from which humanity and our natural world evolved. Among other challenges, this requires returning atmospheric CO2 to proven safe levels of less than 300 parts per million (ppm) by 2050. Climate restoration is complementary to ongoing CO2 and methane emission-reduction and mitigation efforts. Healthy Climate Alliance, 2019
Sacred Earth Enterprises is a conscious exponential business whose “massively transformative purpose” (MTP) is to restore Earth’s atmosphere to its pre-industrial state and to ensure that our children and grandchildren inherit a safe, habitable planet. The term for this vital endeavor is “climate restoration.” To accomplish this ambitious goal, we will:
- Discover, design, develop, market and manage the world’s most effective rapid-deployment climate restoration strategies.
- Train local and international students and interns in lifelong careers that contribute to the ongoing restoration of Earth’s atmosphere, forests, oceans and soils.
- Reduce and re-use the fossil carbon in the atmosphere, increase global food security, eliminate billions of dollars in avoidable human health costs, and mitigate climate damage.
- Collaborate globally with individuals, organizations, communities, businesses and intitiatives that share our urgent agenda.
- Advise philanthropic organizations, investors, business leaders and heads of state on strategic options and investment opportunities such as the Carbon Capture Module™ , the EnviroPlex™, the EnviroVillage™ and the EnviroFarm™.
- Help the 195 countries which signed the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement to fulfill their contractual obligations and reach their Sustainable Development Goals.
- Our corporate governance model will be based on balance, kindness and generosity.
- Our ventures will provide multiple benefits to Planet Earth and every living creature on it.
- They will be safe, regenerative, non-toxic and harmless to ecosystems, plants, animals, and humans.
- Our projects will re-frame daunting problems into great opportunities.
- Our projects will be practical and effective from the climate, business, scientific and engineering standpoints.
- Our projects will be emotionally satisfying and economically profitable for our members, collaborators and investors.
- Our profits will re-invested in Earth-friendly projects such as environmental research/education, tree-planting campaigns, restoring degraded farmland, building new communities with materials sourced from atmospheric CO2 and more.
1. The EnviroPlex™ https://circularcity.us/the-enviroplex/
2. The Carbon Capture Module™ https://circularcity.us/carbon-capture/
3. The EnviroFarm™ * https://circularcity.us/farming/
4. The EnviroVillage™ https://circularcity.us/envirovillage/
NOTE: James Plagmann, AIA, HumaNatureArchitecture, Boulder, CO created the architectural renderings in this document according to ©2017 designs by S.E.E founder Andrew C. Bailey.
The EnviroPlex™ is Andrew C. Bailey’s original invention: a modular, mass-producible, scalable climate solution combining regenerative organic food production with direct-air carbon capture and distributed energy generation. It is a one-acre (45,000 sq ft) high-tech, net-zero living laboratory with three main components: Barn/Factory/Market, Greenhouse/Vertical Farm and Multi-Use Pavilion. It runs on renewable energy: sun, wind, water, hydrogen, geothermal etc. It purifies polluted air and removes CO2 from the atmosphere using a combination of photosynthesis and multiple Carbon Capture Modules™.
The Carbon Capture Module™ is Bailey’s original invention: a mass-producible 36 ft. by 9 ft. by 2 ft. structural wall array sized to fit 5-up in a standard shipping container. Each module incorporates 16 carbon-fiber-bladed fan units, which move ambient air through a series of “wet contactors” – chemically removing atmospheric carbon compounds. CO2 is converted to a stable, harmless water-soluble compound and stored in an underground holding tank awaiting water recovery, concentration and conversion to commercially valuable materials. Subject to local conditions – cost, demand and other market considerations – valuable derivative products can be manufactured from the captured carbon, including heating fuels, soil additives, building materials (such as limestone or magnesite flooring panels and “green” concrete aggregate) and carbon-fiber composites for 3D printing.
- Society has invested billions in climate research, modeling, conferences, forums and reports. We understand the urgency of the crisis we face. We know the consequences of continued inaction: an uninhabitable planet for our children and grandchildren.
- We have the answers, the technology and the capital. Enough talk. It is time to re-focus our energy and get to work on solutions!
- To be effective, we need integrated, replicable, scalable, ever-evolving systems that can be automated, manufactured and massively deployed in the most efficient way possible. We can learn a lot from the military in this regard.
- To be effective, we need global strategies that provide multiple benefits, including abundant return on investment. Philanthropy may be too small to do it. Governments may or may not do it. Bold private enterprise WILL do it.
- To be effective, we need multi-faceted solutions that communities will welcome into their neighborhoods. Ugly, noisy, single-purpose factories will be resisted.
- The EnviroPlex™ and our other solutions are designed from the ground up to be aesthetically-pleasing and to satisfy all of the above requirements.
Investors Take Note
Depending on the end use of the captured carbon, US Tax Code 45Q provides a tax credit of either $50 or $35 per metric ton for the carbon sequestered by the EnviroPlex™ and the Carbon Capture Module™ .
The Dawn of the Carbon Revolution
We will use the principles of “agile” design, integrating cutting-edge emerging technologies as they become viable. For example, using Artificial Intelligence, the Carbon Capture Module™ (CCM™) will become self-replicating, 3D printing itself from the captured CO2, starting with the carbon-fiber fan blades – which last forever and require 75% less energy than steel or aluminum blades. As carbon-fiber 3D printing and related processes go mainstream and become affordable, we will be able to build anything we can imagine from “waste” CO2. The trillion tons of fossil carbon in the atmosphere will replace the concrete, steel and aluminum industries currently emitting unconscionable amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. And that is just the beginning!
1. CCM™ technology can be deployed in numerous scenarios, such as desert oases, sports arenas, urban parks, hotels, factories and warehouses. As of mid-2017, the best-developed of these is the EnviroPlex™ – an integrated farming system combining carbon capture & sequestration (CCS) with organic food production, carbon-free electricity generation and commercial and/or residential real estate development.
2. The proprietary inventions, designs and trade names Carbon Capture Module™, EnviroPlex™ and EnviroVillage™ are globally IP protected by immutable blockchain-based Time Stamped Authority (TSA) certificates.
The Sacred Earth system is in an advanced state of design. It is ripe for tax-deductible philanthropic support, for-profit investment, development and global deployment. Our next step is prototyping and proof-of-concept. We are talking with The Product Launch Company in Glenwood Springs, CO, Santa Fe Community College’s world-leading Trades and Advanced Technologies Center and The Institute Of Ecolonomics about strategies to develop our technology roadmap, build scale models and prototypes, and develop our not-for-profit Climate Restoration Institute – a 5-10 acre research, teaching, demonstration and venture-launch facility.
This overview focuses on the EnviroPlex™ – a hybrid climate solution designed for polluted population centers such as Beijing, Shanghai, New Delhi, Cairo, Mexico City and countless others. EnviroPlex™ systems can be customized and installed virtually anywhere. For example, they can be installed on top of flat-roofed buildings such as shopping centers, factories and warehouses.
The EnviroPlex™ is a modular, mass-producible, carbon-negative climate solution which provides economic, environmental, educational, social and health benefits to the community in which it is installed. Its primary function is large-scale air purification and food production while capturing, sequestering and re-purposing the atmospheric CO2 that passes through it.
- The EnviroPlex™ filters out gaseous air pollutants (nitrogen and sulfur oxides, ammonia, carbon monoxide, etc) and airborne particulate matter such as coal and wood smoke, smog, exhaust fumes, diesel soot and other PM2.5 materials.
- Using photosynthesis, it converts part of the captured CO2 into healthy vegetable produce for human and animal consumption.
- It’s an organic farm and farmers’ market.
- It’s a downstream products research laboratory and factory.
- In hot dry climates, at no additional cost, it provides evaporative cooling, a sustainable alternative to air-conditioning.
- It purifies and recirculates the water it uses and can provide pure drinking water to the local community.
- It produces and stores all or most of its own energy.
- It improves the health and living conditions of occupants, workers and livestock.
- It provides employment for local community members.
- It permanently captures atmospheric CO2 in a neutral aqueous solution, from which many marketable products can be generated.
There are currently two versions of the EnviroPlex™ design. More are in the works, including a square 150ft X 150ft (half-acre) unit.
- The compact “vegan” or “suburban” version described in this overview can even be installed on top of existing flat-roofed buildings, and
- The larger, livestock-based version requires more land. This design incorporates a well-tested regenerative organic agriculture system developed in 1994 and patented in 2008 by inventor William F. Tooley: the EnviroFarm™ a.k.a The Circular Farm™.
- Circular City Consulting, LLC represents Mr. Tooley’s EnviroFarm Systems™ venture to investors in a separate fundraising capacity. See https://circularcity.us/farming/ for more.
Real Estate Applications
Each 4-module EnviroPlex™ provides a 50,000 sq.ft. multi-story, healthy, clean-air indoor space (the Multi-Purpose Pavilion) which the owner/developer can customize and utilize in a multitude of economically-valuable ways: high-value crop production, shopping mall, school or college campus, entertainment or business complex, light industry, corporate or government offices, elder care, hospital, residential, artist studios/galleries, horse operation, winery etc.
Our target markets are entrepreneurs, urban and suburban developers, municipalities and sovereign nations. Almost 200 countries signed binding commitments to reduce their GHG emissions and carbon footprints pursuant to the 2015 COP21 Paris climate agreement. Few of the signatories currently have a realistic strategy to accomplish those goals. This fact presents a huge business opportunity. We anticipate manufacturing and selling hundreds of thousands of Carbon Capture Modules™ and installing many thousands of EnviroPlex™ systems worldwide, helping countries to meet their COP21 obligations and reach their SDGs.
Multiple Revenue Streams
While the proposed Institute For Climate Restoration will most likely be a not-for profit entity, Sacred Earth Enterprises is intended to become a very large, multi-department, for-profit business.
- We will generate revenue by manufacturing, selling, installing and maintaining Carbon Capture Modules™ – which have numerous applications in addition to the EnviroPlex™.
- We will generate revenue by manufacturing, selling, installing and maintaining EnviroPlex™ units, which incorporate multiple Carbon Capture Modules™.
- We will generate additional revenue by:
(1) Manufacturing and selling carbon-based downstream products such as organic fertilizer and foods, high-value crops, fuels, soil additives, building materials and 3D printed products derived from carbon-fiber composites.
(2) Leasing space (at least 50,000 sq. ft. per EnviroPlex™) to businesses, institutions, artists, entrepreneurs and other appropriate tenants.
(3) Developing co-housing ecovillage communities centered around the EnviroPlex™ – featuring attractive homes 3D-printed from atmospheric CO2 converted to “green” concrete.
- We will also generate revenue by partnering with existing entities such as the eXpert Company, Inc (large-scale regenerative agriculture,) alternative energy companies, municipalities, colleges and our tenants.
- Finally, let us not forget the new $50/ton or $35/ton 45Q tax credits in the USA. The law was enacted to benefit the fossil fuel industry, but it also benefits investors in companies such as Sacred Earth Enterprises which are engaged in Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR.)
1. This Overview does not include financial projections or pro forma materials. These elements require paid professional input as they include international business arrangements and multiple currencies. They will be included in future versions of the Executive Overview and the full Business Plan.
2. Our team of experts and our advisory council have received no monetary compensation for their work to date. The past four years of developmental work have been entirely funded by the founders and small contributions from a handful of generous friends.
Phase One: Seed Funding
We are raising a first round proof-of-concept startup fund of $5 – $10 million, including but not limited to tax-deductible donations via our fiscal sponsor The Earth Restoration Alliance, Inc, a 501(c)3 not-for-profit educational organization. The funds will enable us to accomplish the following over the next 24 – 36 months:
- Develop our technology roadmap, prototype our designs, experiment with various carbon-capture chemistries and get dependable data as to their efficacy.
- Engage in comprehensive venture engineering to ensure long-term project success. See for example: https://www.icvgroup.org/venture-engineering/
- Secure a 5-100 acre rural property for a Climate Restoration Institute: an organic farm, permaculture forest, research, teaching/demonstration and venture-launch site.
- Build business infrastructure and global inter-business relationships.
- Identify and assemble a competent, experienced core operating team.
- Clarify branding, entity, legal, licensing and intellectual property questions.
- Conduct necessary R & D work, including AI, automation and downstream product options.
- Develop global manufacturing, marketing and distribution strategies.
- Develop comprehensive, realistic 2, 5 and 10-year financial projections.
- Build replicable demonstration prototypes of the Carbon Capture Module™ and run tests to determine optimum chemistry and effectiveness.
- Develop architectural and engineering plans and cost accounting for a fully-operational, mass-producible EnviroPlex™ module (The EnviroPlex™ pictured above consists of four such modules.)
- Develop multiple alternative applications for the Carbon Capture Module™.
- Investigate downstream product options for re-use of the captured carbon.
- Produce two short promotional films: The Future of Food (regenerative organic agriculture) and Climate Control (climate restoration.)
- Lay the groundwork for investment partnership/s followed by full global deployment.
- Secure abundant financing for Phase Two.
Phase Two: Global Launch
We envision a significant global launch within 48 months of Phase One completion. This calls for a $100 million equity partnership, government funding or other effective financial arrangement.
rise up, be bold and think big
It is possible, practical and profitable to restore Earth’s
climate system to its pre-industrial state.
The alternative is unthinkable!
Andrew C. Bailey
(928) 451 -2043
© 2017 Andrew C. Bailey/Circular City Consulting, LLC. All rights reserved.